May 24, 2013

Fort De Soto

By now you should all know that I have officially graduated (!) and have since taken a trip down to Florida for a little break before I enter the real world.

Graduation was normal. Boring and long but a right of passage that I wanted to sit through none the less. I got to put on the goofy cap and gown and tremble with my friends when the procession music started to play because we all couldn't believe it was actually happening. There were some welling of eyes in the group but I don't think that anyone I knew actually cried. Here's some pictures from the day and the rest of the weekend with family including the new tattoo I got matching (kind of) with my sister. The word is Saudade, if you don't know what it means you can read about it here.








(ODELL Brewing company)



Then came the beginning of Florida





But that isn't what this post is supposed to be about. It's about my trip to Fort De Soto yesterday. It's located in Tierra Verde, FL and is in the top 25 beaches in the world by Trip Advisor.

It was nice and I'm glad I went but to be honest it was fairly boring. Just like most other national parks in the United States (personal opinion).

It was very clean and well kept. Many children scattered the North Beach but other than that there weren't too many people in the park, it was pretty quiet. 

After scouting out the beach we went to see the Fort.

I'm still confused as to why it is historical, other than it's old. My dad said it wasn't used for anything but to practice. It wasn't involved in a battle or anything. 

Any-who it was a procession of empty rooms and long corridors, very similar to the one I saw at Pensacola Beach, FL. Your voice echoed even with the slightest giggle and it seriously echo's when you get scared of pigeons and scream. 

Learned that the hard way.

The part I did find wonderful about the Fort was that you could go on top of it and got some amazing views of the water and the whole park. I'm not sure how well the views translated into photo's (there was a lot of foliage) so you'll maybe just have to take my word for it.








After seeing the fort we ventured over to East Beach and eventually ended up on the other side of the island where we took a break to fish and tan. My dad caught a pretty big Snook. 




All in all I'm glad I went but I'm not sure I would go through the process of driving an hour, finding change for toll bridges, and paying the entrance fee when Siesta Key Beach is about 5 minutes from where the house is AND higher ranked in the top 25 beaches in the world than Tierra Verde. And free.

If you're in the area check it out, it really is nice. However I'm pretty convinced that once you've seen one Fort you've seen them all.

I'll be in Florida for a while still so I'll keep you up to date on my adventures.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment