June 27, 2013

20th Birthday ❁

Today is my 20th Birthday. It's my first birthday ever with no family around, however my boyfriend managed to make it wonderful none the less.

To start out with he made me breakfast, then we were off the the farmers market in Minneapolis.

We poked around a little bit before coming home to eat lunch, then we went to see a movie and picked up some dinner to take home and watch more movies.

Then we ended the night the most perfect way I could possibly imagine... we played Frogger Beyond!!

I feel like only my sister can understand my excitement toward this so I'm not even going to try to explain.


Anyways, in honor of me turning 20 I wanted to share 20 important things that I've learned in my life:

1. The most important thing I've ever learned is to surround yourself only with people that are going to make you a better person. I am a firm believer that unless someone is positive and brings you towards the lighter things in life, they aren't worth your time. Your friends should support you and help you be the best you can be, not drag you down into situations that can get you in trouble or guilty by association. Even if you are not participating in the bad things you surround yourself with, the fact that you surround yourself with them is just as bad.

2. Have boundaries. Call them "guardrails" if you will (kudos if you know the reference). Life rules that apply only to yourself to keep you from straying from a path that you are comfortable with and that you know will help get you to where you want to be in life and help you to be the person that you want to be.

3. Enjoy the little things. The hugs from your parents, the laughs with your friends, spoiling yourself to good coffee for no reason. When you feel that a moment is good, no matter how small, take a moment and take it all in. Acknowledge that someday, these are going to be the things that matter.

4. Love with all your heart. There is nothing better than loving someone so much you can be your 100% true self around them. Whether it's family, a friend or a significant other.

5. Don't be pressured into things. Most of the time people will still be your friend. And if they won't, then there were never really your friend in the first place.

6. Don't assume you know what's going on in somebody else's life. You probably don't know the half of it. So stop making assumptions before you make an ass of yourself.

7. Listen when people are talking. That means put down the phone, close the computer, and listen with full attention.

8. Respect people. I don't care if it's the janitor or the president. Everyone deserves to be talked to with the same respect.

9. Respect yourself. Seriously, stop thinking and saying negative things about yourself. You are wonderful and awesome in your own way. I know you probably don't believe me, I often don't believe myself when I say this in my head. However it is important to have confidence in yourself and what you're doing. If someone gives you a compliment, own it. Don't try to be all "Oh whatever!" It gets annoying.

10. When all else fails, dance it out. Even if you're by yourself.

11. Eat the damn brownie.

12. True friends don't need social media to remind them it's your birthday. Now this may sound snotty but it's also my blog where I'm free to post my personal opinion. The people that are important to me usually take the time to text or call me directly to say happy birthday. And I do the same for them. I don't need to look on Facebook to be reminded. Now no one take this the wrong way. I thank you all for the happy birthday posts and appreciate that you didn't ignore the reminder that Facebook so kindly gave you and you took a minute of your day to say something. That's awesome. I'm just saying I know who my friends are, and then I know who my FRIENDS are.

13. Travel as often as possible. Even if it's a short trip or to a "non-exciting" place. One of my favorite quotes is "Who lives see's, but who travels see's more."

14. Go for it. The job that's out of your league, the school you'll 'never get into', the girl that would never say yes to a date, the extra mile you think you can't run, whatever the hell it is. Just go for it. You're only holding yourself back.

15. Be nice, smile, and laugh as much as possible.

16. Don't be closed minded. Listen to other people's opinions - they're entitled to their own just as much as you're entitled to your own. No one likes the closed minded jackass. If you open yourself to at least listening to different viewpoints that doesn't mean you have to believe it, but at least you've learned something new and are becoming a more well rounded person.

17. Drink lots of water.

18. Thank your parents. In most situations they've given you more than you can POSSIBLY begin to try and repay them for. They just want that to be acknowledged and to feel that you're grateful. Also, tell them they did a good job. And give them a hug.

19. Have faith. I don't mean everyone should believe in what I believe or that there is only one right thing to believe in. Hell I don't care if you are like Horton hears a who and think there's mini universes floating around on specs. Just have faith in something, it'll keep you grounded.

20. Always welcome change. Some of the scariest but most wonderful things in my life have happened because I've always welcomed change. You have every right to be terrified and scared because you can't always see what change will bring, just welcome it anyways.


So there you have it, my little tidbit of life knowledge I've soaked up in the past 20 years.

What're your life tidbits?

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment